Friday, March 14, 2014

Evoblog 6 Conversation (Write a conversation between Mendel, Darwin and Lamarck each should have 3-5 separate lines)

Lamarck-- Have you heard of my new theory of evolution? It is perfect and it states that acquired characteristics can be passed down from generation to generation.

Mendel-- You are wrong Lamarck because genes are passed down from generation to generation and not the phenotypes of organisms.

Lamarck-- No! My studies about traits show that if the parent gains something new like for example longer legs then that characteristic will be inherited by the offspring.

Mendel-- However, through my crosses of peas I found theories that proves yours to be wrong. When I crossed a yellow pea and green pea, the yellow pea appeared dominant in the next generation. However when I crossed the pea with their new acquired appearance according to your theory the trait should have passed down to every offspring however both green and yellow peas appeared representing that acquired traits do not pass down.

Lamarck-- Well, from your experiment I believe that you are right. I am probably wrong since in the first place I never studied how traits got inherited. However from your explanation I understand the principle of independent assortment and segregation.

Darwin- Mendel and Lamarck, I have to amaze you like your conversation has! Did you know that individual organisms differ and that some of these variations are heritable.

Mendel-- That is very interesting. Give me more of your principles to help me enhance my knowledge on organisms.

Darwin-- Alright! The process of natural selection allows species to change and evolve with the fact that more offspring can be produced than can survive to ensure life.

Lamarck-- These principles will probably help me in finding more about inherited traits from one organism to another.

Darwin--Well, out of all this is important. Species that are alive today are descended from ancestral species and this unites all organism on Earth into a single tree of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment